The Days of September...




I have been a bit neglectful lately with keeping up on the garden business. I just find it all so sad right now, especially since Fall is my favorite time of year. But the days are getting shorter and the nites cooler. Right now we are in a really nice warm spell, but rain is needed.


The sunflowers all are blooming, some have been picked and are in two vases. The big ones are really big! I have brought in all the tender perennials, the geraniums are taking off in the house, so is the rosemary, and I got a beautiful ceramic planter at Goodwill for $4.95. The best deal ever, and my lavender has plenty of room to grow over the winter. I found a sage that was really dwarfed in the herb barrel, so I replanted that. My mints where so root bound that I had one hell of a time getting them out, and when I did, I ripped them all to shreds. We replanted some of the roots and what I thought would regrow, they look good right now. Cutting Cosmo's all the time, they where one of the best things in the garden, I give it a 10. I have made pesto, dried lots of sage, today I cut all the flowering purple basil, it is so pretty in the mason jar. I have to pick the yellow beans tomorrow nite. I picked a paper bag half full of yellow pear tomatoes, letting them ripen that way. I don't know how they will be dried, but that is there fate. The tomato crop was a big disappointment. Part weather, part my fault for how I planted. Peppers, I have picked a good amount sweet bell, and habenra, still have plenty growing. Cayenne's plenty, but only one red one. I picked all the green onions, lots of different color carrots. Those will be grated tomorrow to make carrot pineapple bread or muffins, haven't decided yet. They will have a creme cheese glaze, orange scented? Anyway... I have chives in a glass of water, use everyday, still cutting parsley. Picked an eggplant today!!! I was so excited when I found that. Have three more growing. Lots of zucchini. Bags of it frozen, and every few days I pick a fresh one. I have refrigerator pickles in the fridge, pick one every day, slice it up and just add them to the mix. Baby crop! The Great Pumpkin patch has three basketball size pumpkins, and four little ones, well three a squirrel has been nibbling on one. To me the garden was a great success . Might not of gotten allot, but I got a little of everything I planted. And to end it all... a beautiful sweet pea has bloomed!!! I had given up hope. Rumor is that this coming week will be another nice one, so I am hoping that will give the pumpkins a chance to turn orange. 2009 gardening year is coming to an end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cranberry Wild Rice Bread....MMMMMMMM

Potato Zucchini pancakes

A Perfect Day