Scouting Mission

Another 4th of July has come and gone. Here in Grand Marais the day started out bright and sunny. So I went on a scouting mission for Blueberries! Packed up lots of water and bug dope(heavy duty). And up the Gunflint Trail I went with friends. Hot day up the trail, but the memories as I'm walking around picking what I could find ripe is priceless. All the blueberry years spent in Cook,MN at my Grandparents home with all my cousins and Aunts and Uncles, memories you just hold tight.
Blueberries will be abundant this year, not ready just yet, but another week and the pickin will go a lot faster.

I fell a few times, not the Mountain Goat I was last year. So, my bucket got emptied twice in the under brush. But I came home with enough to make some Blueberry Bread. And it was good!!! So here is the recipe I used.


Blueberry Lemon Bread


Bread ingreidents
1/4 cup sour cream
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 2/3 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups blueberries
1 lemon
3/4cup white sugar
1/4 cup melted butter 
2 eggs


Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
Zest one lemon, and juice that lemon
Whisk together the white sugar, melted butter, eggs, sour cream, the lemon zest and juice in a large bowl until evenly blended. Stir in the buttermilk.
Whisk together the flour ,baking powder and salt in a separate large bowl. Remove 3 tablespoons of the flour mixture and set aside. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; pour the liquid mixture into he well and stir batter just until combined.
Fold the blueberries into the reserved 3 tablespoons of the flour mixture, then fold the blueberries into the batter. Pour into your prepared pan and Bake about 60 minutes.After 45 minutes I keep checking with a toothpick for doneness, oven's vary.
While still hot poke holes through the bread and pour the lemon simple syrup over the top. Sprinkle a bit of sugar for a little glitz if you want!


Lemon Simple syrup
1 Lemon
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
In a small pot add the sugar and water, zest the lemon into it, and heat until sugar dissolves. Once you take it off the heat add the juice of the lemon.



I made a double batch to get thee 4 small loaves and their were 10 little bites before the picture was taken! 
I hope you enjoy your blueberry picking days and thinking up ways to enjoy them!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cranberry Wild Rice Bread....MMMMMMMM

Potato Zucchini pancakes

A Perfect Day