The Art of Candied Ginger


I needed some Candied Ginger to add to some Jam I was making. So, I went to my grocery store and a very small packet was over$5.00, I would of needed $20.00 worth. I went home looked up a recipe and went back to the store and bought large pieces for around $8.00. I already had the sugar, lots of water and an imagination to use every bit of what I made!


CANDIED GINGER


1 Pound fresh Ginger, peeled
4 cups Sugar, plus additional sugar for coating the Ginger slices
4 cups water
Pinch of Salt


Slice the Ginger as thin as possible, I used a Mandolin, worked perfectly.
Put the Ginger slices in a non-reactive pot, add enough water to cover ginger, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let Ginger simmer for ten minutes. Drain, and repeat, simmering the Ginger slices one more time.


Mix the 4 cups Sugar and 4 cups water in the pot, along with the pinch of salt and the Ginger slices, and cook until the temperature reaches 225 F. degrees.


Remove from heat and let stand for a few hours. Re-heat the Ginger, it sugar coats much better when the slices are hot.


Drain the Ginger very well while it is hot. Toss in a Gallon bag with about two cups of sugar. Toss around until well coated. Spread on a cooling rack for a few days until completely dry. 


Store the syrup, makes about a pint and a half. Store in the refrigerator. Will last about 1 year.
The Candied Ginger can be stored in air tight containers and will last at room temperature for a few months.
Save the excess Sugar for baking or tea and coffee.


I have used the syrup to infuse Bread, Glazing Chicken, endless uses for it, just use your imagination. The sugar was used along with the glaze in my Lemon-Blueberry Bread. The candied Ginger was added to my Rhubarb Marmalade, which will be posted tomorrow. It's easy, and and a nice gourmet treat for yourself!
I hope you'll make it and find many , many new and old ways to use it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cranberry Wild Rice Bread....MMMMMMMM

Potato Zucchini pancakes

A Perfect Day